Friday, October 14, 2011

Spoons

Yesterday I went to my favorite coffee shop on the University of Washington campus: Parnassus. As I was waiting for my coffee I noticed this poster on the wall.

The poster states:
“It’s pretty amazing that our society has reached a point where the effort necessary to extract oil from the ground ship it to a refinery turn it into plastic shape it appropriately truck it to a store buy it and bring it home is considered to be less effort than what it takes to just wash the spoon when you’re done with it.”
I guess this has been out there a while and been going around for a while, and it took a bit of searching, but I believe I found the person who created the poster (if not perhaps the text for it too). It’s a guy by the name of Max Temkin, his site is Maxistentialism. Cool poster, and I would buy one, except it is currently sold out.

The poster did give me pause, and I reached for a wooden stir stick instead of a plastic one. Although I did use the wooden stir stick then throw it away rather than washing it with the goal of using it again, but I did throw it in the compost bin instead of the garbage bin.

No comments: